THE CONFECTIONIST: A New Kind of Brownie

Monday, February 22, 2010

A New Kind of Brownie



Brownies are a great dessert mainly because of the dense consistency, rich chocolate flavor and its finger-food form. I've never met someone who has an aversion to brownies—even my friend who claims to dislike chocolate occasionally indulges in one. Brownies are the perfect treat probably because we've indulged in these chocolate squares since we were little. Slumber parties involved brownie-baking and birthday parties required a pan full of brownies for those who didn't like the classic celebratory vanilla cake—well, I somehow managed to always get both. Whether from a box or an old family recipe, you can never go wrong with brownies.
When my friend, Laken, spoke of red-velvet brownies excitement began seeping through my mind. This confection was foreign to me, so I did my research and found a great recipe. I've always been a fan of red-velvet cake, with its aesthetically pleasing rouge color and fantastic flavor. To top it off, a cream-cheese frosting makes this sweet treat even more spectacular.
After being introduced to red-velvet brownies, I feel like I've been upgraded to first-class. This recipe makes for an incredible dessert, which I just added to my leather-bound cook book (the one I will use for family gatherings, birthdays and the one I will pass on to my daughter). From now on, a ceramic plate of these velvety brownies will attend ALL of my soirées.

You must try this recipe from McCormik:

Ingredients:

1 cup flour

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 eggs, lightly beaten

2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon red food coloring

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 13x9-inch baking pan with foil. Spray foil with no stick cooking spray. Mix flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.

2. Mix eggs, granulated sugar, sour cream, food coloring and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Gradually stir in flour mixture until well mixed. Spread in prepared pan.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. Cool in pan on wire rack.

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened

2 tablespoons sour cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 box (16 ounces) confectioners' sugar

Drizzle on top of brownies or spread them evenly like you would for a cake (after they cool)


3 comments:

  1. yummy!! let's make them again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks incredible. Gonna have to make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rach.

    We made these brownies last night. We are big fans!

    Aunt Sue and Jen

    ReplyDelete