THE CONFECTIONIST: GOURMET

Monday, October 5, 2009

GOURMET


this is my letter in memory of Gourmet Magazine, which after years of beautiful publishing is closing

Dear Gourmet,

You are probably unaware of my existence, but I am quite aware of your place in this world. Your words woo me with every page I turn. Your pictures captivate me and my sensory glands like no other. Your presence in my life has made me a better person through and through. I must humble myself in your honor, for your culinary expertise is far better than any other epicurean read I know of. You gave me passion, you gave me hope, you gave me irreplaceable advice. I am lucky to have known you. You were the highlight of my month. As I turned your pages I'd get lost in a world of sweet and savory delights— a seemingly fantastical world that you made real.
Ruth Reichl took good care of you. I am sorry that it's not in her power to keep you in our magazine racks and on our coffee tables. I believe that if it were her choice, she'd keep you around for years to come. I thank Ruth for her eloquent style and impeccable taste, and for displaying her manner in your name. Gourmet, I cannot express my longing to have a little more time with you. I hope to make you proud one day.

Au revoir Gourmet.

J'taime,

the confectionist

No comments:

Post a Comment